For such a tiny fruit, the Elderberry sure has made a lot of news lately.
Hippocrates, the father of medicine, lovingly described it in 400 BCE as the “medicine chest” of all herbs because of its widespread benefits and the way all parts of its plant are used. Hey, even Harry Potter fans know that it made the most powerful wand ever, the Elder Wand. The purplish-black fruit grows in “nutlets” on the Elderberry shrub, part of the honeysuckle family. It is generally acknowledged for centuries to help our immune systems, which obviously explains why it is a constant challenge to keep the gummies in stock here at Havasu Nutrition.
The COVID-19 pandemic has kept the Elderberry plant in headlines because pretty much any topic related to the coronavirus and its disease is under constant scrutiny. So we decided to just search the word “Elderberry” in various resources and see some of its most popular content engagements. Here are 11 of them:
1. The Invincible Elder It has been around since the ancient Greeks and Romans, and Native Americans always found it practical. But this Pittsburgh Quarterly article looks at why all of a sudden “there’s great interest now in the elderberry and its medicinal value.”
2. How to Make Elderberry Popsicles See how DIY blogger Jill Mills made Elderberry Popsicles for her three boys, combining elderberry syrup with grape juice, raw honey and OJ.
5. Can Elderberry Treat the Flu? The New York Times writes that limited evidence suggests it might help reduce symptoms and duration, but the flu vaccine and medical advice from a doctor are still foremost in importance. The article originally appeared on March 3, but was updated on April 17 in the middle of quarantine time.
6. Elderberry Extract Will Not Prevent or Cure the Coronavirus Men's Health magazine explores Elderberry and its recent surge in popularity. Registered Dietician Abby Langer says Elderberry is “safe . . . so if it makes you feel better to take it, go right ahead.” But she cautions: “There is nothing on elderberry and its effects on coronavirus or COVID-19, which we all should know by now is nothing like cold and flu.”
11. When Not to Use Elderberry: Using a Little Discernment Stephanie at Naturally Simple Living cautions that we are learning as we go with the virus, so do your research into Elderberry. Bottom line: This is all uncharted waters for us, so keep your Elderberry on hand like Native Americans did for medicinal purposes. Even if you don't have an Elder Wand handy to ward off problems, be sure to read up, wear a mask, social distance and don't stop being careful out there!
News & updates from Havasu. No spam, we promise.
We want to help you reach your personal best
At Havasu Nutrition, our goal is simple: to provide you with supplements to fuel your body, mind, and soul, made from the best ingredients Mother Nature has to offer. For most of us, our days are jam-packed with work, family, and endless to-do lists, which means we don’t always have the time to get the nutrients and vitamins we need. At Havasu, we see physical health as a piece of the puzzle for overall happiness and wellness, and we want to help you maintain optimal health with supplements that fill in the gaps, and provide you with nutrients that are essential for physical and mental performance.